Spring showers bring May flowers, but they also increase the likelihood of your commercial roof developing leaks. To keep your roof healthy, it’s important to check for damage and take some preventative measures.
Commercial roof assessment
Roofing problems can be costly, and a leaky roof can cause damage throughout your commercial property. You should be sure to regularly check on your roof’s health, typically in spring and autumn. As spring greets us, now is a good time to check your roof for signs of imperfections and leaks. A few common things to check for include:
• Check for debris; leaves, snow, dirt, branches, and other such things can land on your roof, especially in the fall and winter. Piles of debris can be heavy, causing your roof to sag or penetrate its protection.
• Drains should also be cleared of debris or other obstructions, allowing your roof to remain water-free.
• Look for imperfections as cracking or deterioration can be potentially catastrophic. Don’t forget to check your roof protrusions, such as HVAC units or chimneys, for the same signs of damage.
• Check for commercial roof blisters. These bubbles on your roof are caused by air or water infiltration. These bubbles can grow, causing catastrophic damage to your commercial roof.
• Even if you installed a roofing membrane, nature could cause it to become damaged. Check for cracks in your roof membrane to ensure it’s working as expected.
Signs of a leaky roof
Some symptoms of a leaky roof may be seen in the interior of your commercial building. A few of the most commons signs include:
• Water spots on your ceiling or walls may indicate a leaky roof. If you see this sign, it’s time for immediate action.
• A leaky roof can cause water to pool or puddle in your commercial property. This can be devastating, causing damage to other areas of your property than just the roof.
• Check your paint; if it’s tearing or bubbling, it may be due to moisture and leakiness.
• The smell of mildew or mold may indicate a leak.
What causes a leaky roof?
• Flat roofs may cause leakiness. When rain pools, it can become very heavy. This can cause a flat roof, especially one that’s not level, to sag. If you notice standing water on your flat roof, it’s time to install a draining system to take care of your problem.
• Improper installation of your roofing system increases the chance of leaks exponentially. Therefore, it’s essential to hire a trustworthy commercial roofing company.
• Weather and age also cause roofs to leak or become otherwise damaged. Even if your roof has been properly installed, it’s important to check on the health of your roof and regularly maintain it.
Seamless Roofing Solutions
Roofing is not a DIY project. Whether you’re installing a roof for the first time, or realize the need for regular maintenance, a trustworthy Albuquerque roofer can keep your roof healthy. Leaving it up to the professionals frees up your time for other commercial concerns and makes it far more likely that your roof won’t incur common, costly amateur mistakes.
Seamless Roofing Solutions offers free estimates for all your roofing problems. Our hardworking, knowledgeable staff will answer your questions and complete your commercial roofing project in a timely manner. If you’re ready to keep your roof healthy this spring, contact us now.